Tuesday 26 August 2008

The Good, The Bad & The Weird

The Internet is a strange place at times, but then we all knew that didn’t we? Yes, yes we did…

So lets start with the weird: One day I was looking for some thread I had posted on about something or other and I stumbled upon my username for Drowned in Sound jimitheexploder on the Ministry of Sound website. So I went and clicked the link, which lead me to the news section, this was pretty strange I thought… The person at MoS had decided to trall music forums for opinions on the trance DJ Tiesto and come across a thread started on DiS called, ‘Who the Fuck is Tiesto?’ started by a guy inquiring who he was and why he was selling out the O2 arena yet he had no idea who he was. I commented on this thread with my opinion, ‘he sells out stadiums often all around the world he is massive. Plays a load of shit though’ and this quote gets into the news article… Surely it isn’t news that people don’t like trance? It must have been a slow news day for MoS maybe Oakenfold didn’t have a best of compilation or mix out that day or something I’m not very up on trancey goings on. I’m pretty sure the Internet will eat its self soon if opinion on music boards is used as news…


The Bad: As you may or may not know Bloc Party released an album last week entitled Intimacy, they decided to drop it out of the blue in digital format first then CD later in the year. All good so far for sure… So you know being a bored music fan I joined in some musical conversation on this new Bloc Party offering on an Internet forum. The opinions on the record varied from massive distain and abuse to pure joy and love, as they always do on busy music boards. This is normal business as far as I have seen, and I was making the odd joke and sensible comment about what I was hearing on the new record. But hell the Bloc Party fan boys weren’t liking any negative opinion what so ever, and even though I was saying good things as well about the band I enjoy, they got on their high horse and decided to keep name checking me, singling me out and be a little abusive. I have never had so much trouble from shearing my opinion on a band ever… These Bloc Party fans were truly annoying, pretentious and overall single minded fools that couldn’t see past their own un-dieing love for Bloc Party. Pretty strange stuff in my opinion, I had never seen it before but I was informed that similar things happened to people on message boards when Radiohead dropped In Rainbows the other year. I’m all for people being in love for music, but when they can’t see past their own little opinion and get abusive about it it’s pretty pathetic and makes me laugh…


The Good: finally some good stuff hey? Yep… Music boards are also full of excellent people who are passionate about music they love and are willing to discuss it with all sorts of people who both love and hate the music they are talking about. They turn each other onto new music all the time and generally keep the scene alive to an extent as well. They inspired me to start this here blog and write about music in all its glory, they also put me in touch with some good people who I chat to regularly. I have recently been writing for another site, which is why this has slowed down a little. Another good story about music boards is the one of my step bro and his wife, who met on an old skool dance music site after swapping mixtapes and eventually hooking up and getting married in Ibiza. Brilliant…


So that’s a little round up of my musical internet shenanigans just to keep you going while I concentrate on some writing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails