Tuesday 3 June 2008

What’s cooking for the rest of 2008?

These are my most anticipated releases for the rest of 2008 in my eyes. They all seem to be in the oven and starting to smell very nice indeed (Hence the future oven picture yeah?). I’m damn sure I have missed some but who doesn’t like surprises hay…

Deerhunter – Microcastle

This record could well be a freaking beauty everything Deerhunter have done has been just wonderful. If Bradford Cox’s side project Atlas Sound is anything to go by then I have high hopes for Microcastle. The buzz from the live show says the new material is kind of special and some demos of sorts appeared as a live session last year they were good too. Well that’s what I wrote earlier yesterday anyway, now I have heard it and its brilliant see yesterdays post. I hope it comes out soon so this leak doesn't do to much damage.

Rolo Tomassi

Drop a debut album at the end of the year as far as I know. It doesn’t have a name yet but will no doubt come out on Holy Roar like their EP and 7” previously. The Holy Roar blog says they have been/are in the studio and its sounding good. Rolo Tomassi could make an absolute beast of an album I can’t wait.

My Bloody Valentine

Well who knows is this will surface this year apart from Kevin Shields is anyone’s guess. They apparently have been in the studio finishing off an album that was ¾ done back in 1996, but all we know for sure is they are doing a whole host of live shows and that is good news in its self. This might come out in the year 3000 if the myths are to be believed so only cross your fingers metaphorically.

Flying Lotus – Los Angeles

This Warp beauty leaked ages ago now yet it is still one of the most exciting and hotly anticipated album’s this year for me. I have heard it and it’s absolutely brilliant, full to the brim with wonky underwater hip-hop or ‘Aquacrunk’ as I have seen it called long with others. This album will be this years Burial to my ears anyway. Pre-Order it now at Warp.

Burial – DJ Kicks

A mix featuring original material and re-freaks by the elusive Burial has to be a special release for 2008. The albums Bruial and Untrue are pretty much perfect so to hear his musical choices all mixed up is going to be brilliant. I expect some old school rave numbers mixed with soulful deep 2-step and god knows what else. I can’t wait.

Dananananaykroyd – Sissy Hits

This EP has had trouble coming out the original record label ran out of money so the release had to be delayed. But now Holy Roar came to the rescue and are dropping it in the near future. It got a 10/10 on Drowned in Sound, which either means it’s the most brilliant thing in the world or they just wanted to hype it up so someone would release it, I can’t wait to find out myself. You can Pre-order is at Holy Roar now.

Johnny Foreigner – Waited Up ‘Till It Was Light

This album also leaked quite some time ago now plus most the songs have been out there in demo form or on their ace EP Arcs Across The City. This can’t dampen my excitement to hear it again though in full CD quality with artwork and lyrics, plus I still have my copy on its way from Drowned in Sound all signed by Alexei and everything. Hurry up DiS!

Volacno! - Paperwork

Are in the studio putting finishing touches to the follow up to the brilliant Beautiful Seizure, which could well come out this year I would imagine. This is very good news indeed as that record was one of the best debut albums I had heard in recent times. Expect more odd turns and made powerful deranged indie rock pop tunes to come.

Abe Vigoda – Skeleton

This will be coming out on No Age’s label PPM and the song I have heard is a beauty. I expect Abe Vigoda to blow up when this appears just like other Smell bands have in recent times. Fuzzy, surf-punk, pop from LA perfect.

Other notable releases:

HEALTH/DISCO (Available on import)
Broken Social Scene Presents: Brendan Canning – Something For All Of Us…(See a couple of days ago for post on more of that beauty)
Dusk + Blackdown – Margins Music (Deep deep dubstep)
Ratatat – LP3 (Si-Fi-Dub-Cowboy-Step)
Wolf Parade – At Mount Zoomer (Grower)
Late Of The Pier – Zarcop (Erol on the desk, much hyped)
Ellen Alien – Sool (Minimal at its finest)
Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling
Final Fantasy – Heartland
Kevin Shields and Patti Smith - The Coral Sea
Emmy The Great - First Love
Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins
Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
Anathallo - Canopy Glow
RZA -
Digi Snacks
Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band – S/T?
Modest Mouse – EP
The Notwist – The Devil, You + Me
Wiley – Grime Wave
Weezer – S/T (AKA Red Album even if it got lame reveiws its big indie news)

Rumours:
This Town Needs Guns (In the studio)
Polar Bear (I saw them ages ago and they played new tunes, so I think something is brewing)
XX Teens (Have been releasing the odd single)
Grizzly Bear (New tune from a radio session is so damn good, so maybe an album to come?)
Jon Gomm (Has had an album almost ready for quite some time)
Daft Punk (Well we can dream can’t we?)
Avalanches (They might have got back from record shopping?)
Green Day (Apparently)
Gay Against You (Maybe)
Mew (In the studio)
of Montreal (At the end of the year?)
TV On The Radio (Who Knows?)

I asked the lovely DiS community for help too, this is what they said
here

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails