Sunday 6 July 2008

Micah P. Hinson and the Red Empire Orchestra

Somky country folk with a nice subtle orchestral element thrown in for good measure, that’s what Hinson is bringing to the table and I think I like it. It isn’t usually my thing the traditional county sounding smoky stuff but this album is very enjoyable indeed and a nice break from me playing strange bass heavy beats.

Every song is full of melody and Micah’s gravely tones over lightly, tenderly strum acoustic guitars and orchestral flourishes. His voice reminds me a little bit of Don Van Vliet’s of Captain Beefheart but only in tone not in style. Its all-pretty melancholy and doesn’t really stray from this mood throughout the record that doesn’t really detract from it though. I prefer it on his less epic numbers where it’s just him alone with sparse instruments complimenting his voice. Generally the orchestral moments or electric guitar pieces are well done and add more than they detract.

I’m not very good at getting on board with lyrical content I’m more of a sonic adventurer than a listen to every word and take the meaning on board kind of guy. So I may not be the best one to comment on the lyrical content as it all kind of washes over me right now. I have to take a lot of time listening to stuff before any kind of lyrical meaning strikes a chord with me. The tones he sings in compliment the sound of the tracks brilliantly though.

Overall Micah P. Hinson and the Red Empire Orchestra have made a beautiful heart warming record that echoes sounds of the past in a wonderful mellow smoky tone.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails