Sunday 27 April 2008

Fuck Buttons – Street Horrrsing

The opener Sweet Love For Planet Earth is very special indeed and sets the tone perfectly for the album as a whole. Its full of sweet tinkles and grinding buzz saw noise that builds with some growling throbs. Fuck Buttons make pretty simple yet experimental noise music that builds and builds over the course of its six tracks. The treatment to vocal noise is so good and one of my favourite things about this band. They sound so scary and evil yet also strangely beautiful. The use of primal rhythms is good too on the second track Ribs Out. The track Okay Lets Talk About Magic and Race You To My Bedroom / Spirit Rise reminds me of a Thomas Bangalter track from his Irreversible soundtrack, but nowhere near as good. The final section is a corker the lo-fi house beats of Bright Tomorrow are a joy to behold after the last two tracks. There is also a beautiful organ part, which rides along nicely over a glitch ridden, bright feedback, and looped rhythm, this is the sound of a horrible comedown, drenched in sadness. It has a simple cord progression, like much of the Fuck Buttons tracks; they often stick to the same formula. This works on the two-standout tracks, Sweet Love For Planet Earth and Bright Tomorrow. This isn’t an album to put on repeat, for me at least. I find it to be a bit repetitive in places, the mid section of the record kind of sags in my opinion. This holds it back a little and means I don’t truly love Street Horrrsing. Sweet Love For Planet Earth is one of my tracks of the year so far though. Fuck Buttons have managed some how to get lot of praise in many strange places for the Street Horrrsing, such as the NME, Guardian, Mojo, etc. Hats off to them for that, but I want them to try harder next time. I’m sure this album will open a lot of peoples eyes to some good Noise, such as Black Dice, that’s my limited knowledge of the subject exhausted any way. P.S. the name of your band and album sounds like a Nathan Barley joke gone wrong.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails