Thursday 1 May 2008

Cats and Cats and Cats / This Town Needs Guns – Split

This is a Big Scary Monsters split CD featuring two excellent bands. BSM are one of my favourite indie labels currently, releasing such gems as Tubelord and Meet Me In St Louis (RIP) along with the aforementioned acts on this split release.

Cats and Cats and Cats make some epic indie pop that hints in the direction of Arcade Fire in places, but much less overblown. They also have a brilliant clean sounding emo style guitar that I have mentioned before on this blog. The opener Brilliant The Brilli Ant is wonderful. There are layers of horns and piano on some songs. The vocals are dramatic and full of passion. I can’t fault their style, brilliant band brilliant songs.

This Town Needs Guns are another up and coming band that are currently working on new material too. I have seen them live and wasn’t totally blown away at first but they have grown on me an awful lot. They make sweet tappy clean English indie emo of the highest order. 26 Is Dancier Than 4 is my favourite of theirs. The final track It’s Not true Rufus, Don’t Listen To The Hat has the best title I’ve seen for a while. Another great band destined for great things.

One reason I am reviewing this is to give exposure to the wonderful Cats and Cats and Cats for their cause, I will let them tell you about it:

‘We're totally broke and need at least £3,000 to record our album somewhere cool with someone cool.
Anyone who can donate anything, no matter how small, will really be helping us out!
The 'donate' button is on our
myspace page.
Thanks for reading. Miaow that's what I call music.
AdCat Xx’

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails